Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 2009 12:18:29 -0400
The question is- do multiple swarms from the same colony settle in the same
place before finding a final hive location?

I found two swarm clusters in the same tree. One was "normal" size and the
second cluster about 1/3 the size and only about two feet from the large
cluster. So was it the same swarm or two? I am sure many here have run into
this. Since I do not capture swarms unless they are on my property and
probably my bees, this is a first for me.

I was planting tomatoes in my garden when the swarm appeared right over my
head. I kept planting until it settled on a low hanging branch on an apple
tree right by the garden. So all I needed to do was rig a box, put it on a
garden way cart, and locate it below the small cluster first, drop them in,
and the large immediately after that. Buttoned them up except for the
entrance. Left them for about a half hour and the remainder went into the
box. Wheeled it to the apiary and immediate new colony.

I checked them the next day and they are fine and setting up shop nicely
with no apparent problems. I guessed there would be none, even if there were
two queens since they probably were daughters so might get along compared to
those from a different mother. But time will tell.

Many years back, when I first started keeping bees, a bee supplier asked me
what was the name of my farm. I thought, a haven for bees would be nice, so
said "bee haven farms". When my wife came home I told her of the call and
new name and she burst out laughing. "Your bees behave?" After the way they
obliged me with this swarm, the answer is yes.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine