From:
Richard Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 2009 23:23:49 -0400
I was doing a trap out for the University of Cincinnati and learned
that after being stung so many times I have no developed a sudden
allergy that has landed me in the hospital twice now.

I am now seeing an allergist and taking shots and working up my immune
system again.

In the process I learned that in terms of venom Yellow Jackets and
Bees are fairly similar and that I am not allergic to hornets of any
type.  Wasps a little bit.

Not too sure if that means I am passionate or simply nuts.  Most folks
look at me and think I am nuts.

They are not beekeepers though.

That said, I think a successful beekeeper is one that also passes on
their knowledge to others.  To me, when I first started, beekeeping
was akin to witchcraft.  Secretive...mysterious...and not many schools
that dealt with it.  If I wanted to learn how to do it I simply needed
to do it and learn or find someone to latch onto and help me through it.

I am glad I went the route I did, but not everyone is that determined
to learn something new.  A willingness to share their knowledge
combined with willingness to learn new things about bees, beekeeping,
and the environment the bees live in is key and in my mind (that same
mind people are accusing of being a bit mad) this makes a good
beekeeper.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio