From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2006 15:25:18 -0600
Hello All,
I would like to invite all those beekeepers in the area to the joint meeting
of  The Kansas Honey Producers Association & The Missouri State Beekeepers
Association. Friday & Saturday March 3 & 4 at the Overland Park Marriott
10800 Metcalf , Overland Park, Kansas

I believe both organizations have got web sites.

We have lined up some excellent speakers including Marla Spivak, Diana
Sammatara & Tom Seeley. By going together the clubs can bring bigger names
to our meetings.

I will be doing   a presentation on "Russian Bees" on Saturday. Last
workshop of the day.  I had hoped to talk about a different subject as I
have given the presentation at the Midwestern Beekeepers assn., KHPA & MBA
before but "Russian bees" and varroa tolerant bees is what they want to hear
about.

The members were not so interested four years ago.

If a member of the list has information on the forming of the new Russian
breeders assn. at the AHPA meeting please mail or email as I am sure I will
be asked.

In the fall of 2004 I got a lot of flak on Bee-L for saying" tens of
thousands of hives were crashing". Proved to be true.

I got a letter from the ABF today and this is what the ABF is saying about
this winter. I am sure all ABF members got the flyer.

quote American Beekeeping Federation flyer:

"Varroa mites have become resistant to legal chemical controls, and HUNDREDS
OF THOUSANDS of hives have perished this winter."

The purpose of the flyer is to raise money to save the bee lab funding which
the Bush administration is wanting to cut.

for info you can email ABFnet.org

All my hives are now either Russian or varroa tolerant. I see varroa as a
non issue. Come listen to a talk by a fellow beekeeper without an agenda
share his thoughts on the last four years of keeping Russian bees from four
different breeders.

Although the talk is on Russian bees the crowd is not going to let me get
away without talking about varroa tolerant stock.

I will be at the meeting both days. If you monitor BEE-L please come up an
introduce yourself. I am usually with my partner Glenn Davis. Glenn is easy
to spot as he is 6' 5" tall and around 280 lbs.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison