From:
janet montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 20:14:04 -0400
I believe that the Bacillus spores of foulbrood may not be killed by simple
boiling , even at the elevated temperatures of honey boiling .. If this is
correct one will surely pose a contamination risk to clean colonies if the
honey is contaminated
I would surely like some knowledgable "expert" to comment if honey can be
"pasturized"  by boiling
Dan Veilleux  Columbus , Ohio

At 04:48 PM 10/24/96 -0400, you wrote:
>David Eyre and others responded to my description of feeding
>cooked honey back to my bees with warnings of bad results.
>I have not experienced any trouble with this.  Perhaps I've
>just been lucky or the quantities are too small do harm.
>
>I am aware that many beekeepers and beekeeping manuals warn
>against it. But the beekeeper who mentored me did it routinely
>for 15 years with no observed bad effects, such as dysentery,
>and expressed the opinion that the fear of risk was greatly
>overstated (he compared it to the 19th c. caution against
>eating tomatoes).
>
>Now I'm scratching my head. Any other comment, observation on
>this?  Apparently bad effects aren't inevitable, but what are
>the variables?  Foolish luck? Quantity?
>
>Any further information would be very welcome.

Janet Montgomery
104 Fallis Road
Columbus, Ohio  43214-3724
Home:   (614) 784-8334