From:
"David L. Green" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 09:25:33 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Here in Zolfo Springs Florida the maple is over and
 the willow is at peak. >>

    The last two days of 70 degree weather have pushed things along in
coastal South Carolina. Usually, strong hives keep some drones thru the
winter here, but not this year. I have yet to see a drone, nor any drone
brood. Strong hives are averaging one to one and a half frames of sealed
brood and another frame of eggs. Weak hives may only have a portion of a
frame of sealed brood. The queens have really taken off though, in the last
couple days, and some of the eggs are drones.

   Maples still were not open, as of yesterday, though close. Yellow pollen
is coming in from field mustard.

<<Because of the cold weather there is no sign of the
small hive beetle.>>

   I do think the cold suppresses the afrobeetle, but I found one hive that
was badly infested.    I have not treated for beetles, though I've seen
spotty examples in the past couple years. They never seemed bad enough to be
requiring treatment. I've only found one bad hive so far in my last round of
inspection, but, if I look, there are one or two beetles in almost every
hive, so I am starting treatment.

Dave Green
The Pollination Home Page:  http://pollinator.com
Hemingway, the barbecue capital of the world
http://hemingwaysouthcarolina.com