Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 2009 11:49:36 -0400
For those that think I am after Jerry, I am not. We have talked
off-line several times and if you check the archives, you will find I
defend him more than argue. Probably argue will Allen much more, but
he is too easy.

> 'Varroa is a vector for the problem' - it appears to be a vector  of
> viruses - it has been shown that at least one virus (VDV-1) can  replicate in
> varroa mites; although whether its a true vector or simply  predisposes bees to
> viral attack due to injury seems a  bit unclear.

I cannot call up all the posts but I was more in your camp before I
was bombarded with studies, so I am in the Varroa/virus/vector camp.
My position also was injury-virus.

> But varroa has not been shown to be the vector causing CCD, since  many CCD
> operations did not have a varroa problem.  Some did, and some had  a major
> varroa problem, but not all.  Several have tried to blame varroa  but have
> had to admit it wasn't a marker when they looked at their own  data.

Simple postulation. I recognize it would never happen in real life,
but humor me. Say a beekeeper's bees had high Varroa loads. He treats
with a not registered but well know miticide that  is exceptionally
effective and not very traceable as a residue. The Varroa have already
done their duty and loaded the bees with virus. The bees pass the
virus back and forth between themselves, spreading it to most of the
entire apiary. It hits epidemic levels and you have massive die-off.
The just arrived inspectors find near zero Varroa but CCD or CCD like
symptoms so can assume that Varroa is not involved. The Beekeeper is
mum, since he does not want to let all know that he is treating his
bees with a not registered miticide and have those government people
turn him in, so goes with the flow and becomes another victim of CCD.
Might even get on TV.

I realize that this could not happen as beekeepers never use
unregistered miticides, so forget my stupid postulation.

Did go to the hospital. I was helping a shift that was understaffed,
but all showed up so I got to go home and post this. BTW, the reason I
got the volunteer job at the hospital was during the interview I was
asked if I had any trouble transporting patients on beds or
wheelchairs and could I manage an information desk? Told them I was
perfect for the job since, as a retired Navy officer, I was used to
pushing people around and telling them where to go.

Bill Truesdell (Past President of the Allen Dick Fan Club)
Bath, Maine