From:
Murray McGregor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 11:35:13 +0000
In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.971213175229.6619C-
[log in to unmask]>, Bob Billson <[log in to unmask]> writes

>You don't know some U.S. companies very well.  They would sell their own
>parents to make a fast buck and not lose a bit of sleep over it.
>

>I'll throw in the Brooklyn Bridge and/or George Washington Bridge (both in
>New York City).

Dear Bob,

Thank you for your response to my posting, which was itself originally a
response to Garth.

I would refer you to the reply I have already posted to Andy Nachbaur.

The last thing on my mind is that you should take the publicity put out
by pharmaceutical companies purely at face value. History is littered
with examples of unsafe, even dangerous, goods, not just
pharmaceuticals, being foisted on an unsuspecting clientelle by
unscrupulous companies. Against that many products have been
miraculously beneficial.

What I do say is that healthy scepticism is right and good, especially
if the entity involved is seeking to make a profit out of you, but
automatic rejection of the companies evidence is bad. We have to take
into account the results of truly independent evaluations conducted
under proper scientific principles before deciding that the drug
companies are lying, for, in effect, that is what this string of debate
is saying.

I just cannot agree that all information presented by these companies is
wrong or, worse still, deliberate lies. I question it, often seek
clarification, look at independent research, and then decide for myself,
as is the right of all of us to do. Seeing these companies only as the
'big bad wolf' who constantly lie whilst damaging us is not, in my
opinion, correct.

For our own benefit it is important that we take a balanced view.

Thank you again for your reply
--
Murray McGregor