From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2007 08:59:36 -0500
Hello Peter & All,
 A very interesting article is in the May issue of BEE Culture by Dr.
Sanford.

Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) an update by
Dr. Malcom T. Sanford ( May 2007 Bee Culture)

Dr. Sanford from the article says:
" New documents at the Mid Atlantic Apiculture Research and Extension
Consortium include the following advice:" ( and source for the below
information)

Then lists five different points & the *why*.

Taken word for word from the article pg. 17 & 18.

5. "If you observe high levels of varroa mites ,treat then using soft
chemicals ,such as Apiguard, Apilife Var, or Miteaway 2. We DO NOT
recommend the use of oxalic acid, or homemade hard chemical mixtures"
(The DO NOT is in capital letters)

"Why?"

"Colonies experiencing CCD have been shown to have kidney (Malpighian
tubule) problems similar to those seen in colonies treated with hard
chemicals. There are some reports that oxalic acid may damage bee Malpighian
tubules"

Early reports are starting to come my way Peter that beekeepers using old
comb from CCD deadouts are starting to see problems ( or at least a big
difference between performance between boxes reused and boxes of comb from
NON CCD deadouts). The next few months will tell the tale if CCD is going to
reoccur or simple go into beekeeping history. My personal opinion is CCD is
not over yet!

I also would suggest all beekeepers claiming to have CCD to visit the MAAREC
site Aaron posted and look at the two pictures as  true CCD deadouts. 7
frames of sealed brood with a tiny handful of bees. As the caption at the
site says. It should be obvious these hives had a large population of bees
not long ago!

I personally have never seen such a situation in my beekeeping . Perhaps the
MAAREC people chose to take the worst CCD case to post the pictures. Don't
know. If not then a real case of CCD should be easy to spot! Please take a
look!

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

--