From:
Christina Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 2015 16:34:21 +0000
 "The combinations and permutations make the study complex but it is I think very important to

understanding the health of our bees. ...Our bees of course are a barometer and I cannot help but think

the combined effect of chemicals is an insufficiently weighted variable in the "equation."

There are quite a lot of papers now looking at some of this.  I've put a

"partial bibliography" below....there are more but I don't have time to pull them all together now.

The combined effects of pesticides (including those applied by beekeepers), fungicides, and also Nosema

can be severe.

What the earnest young man on the You-Tube video neglected to discuss was the fact that much neonic

 use these days is prophylactic, and unnecessary.  If we were able to just reduce excess useage of neonics

and other chemicals, it would not affect the ability to "feed the world", no matter what our individual views

might be on the reality that our human population is expanding out of proportion to what the planet

can easily tolerate.

Christina

Partial Bibliography of Combined Pesticide/Pathogen Effects on Honeybees and Bumblebees

1.     Alaux, C; Brunet, J L; Dussaubat, C; Mondet, F; Tchamitchan, S; Cousin, M; Brillard, J; Baldy, (2010). Interactions between Nosema microspores and a neonicotinoid weaken honeybees (Apis mellifera). Environmental Microbiology 12: 774-782.

2.     Aufauvre, J., D. G. Biron, et al. (2012). Parasite-insecticide interactions: a case study of Nosema ceranae and fipronil synergy on honeybee. Scientific Reports 2: 326. doi:10.1038/srep00326

3.     Barmaz, Stefania, Claudia Vaj, Alessio Ippolito, and Marco Vighi.  (2012)  Exposure of pollinators to plant protection products.  Ecotoxicology 21:2177-2185 DOI 10.1007/s10646-012-0971-7

4.     Belzunces, Luc P., Sylvie Tchamitchian, and Jean-Luc Brunet. "Neural effects of insecticides in the honey bee." Apidologie 43.3 (2012): 348-370.

5.  Burlew, Dorothy A. The Effects of Pesticide-Contaminated Pollen on Larval Development of the Honey Bee, Apis mellifera. Diss. The Evergreen State College, 2010.

(Quoted from this dissertation:  Using the primary literature, I studied the mechanisms by which larvae are exposed to toxins in pollen and how they are affected by them. I then compared the levels at which substantial adverse effects occur with the levels of pollen contamination found in agricultural areas. The analysis illuminated weakness in the EPA registration process due to changes that have occurred in pesticide manufacture and formulation, especially in the last 20 years. Pesticides are toxic in smaller doses than ever before, and they tend to be systemic¡ªrather than surface¡ªpreparations. In order to protect honey bee health, we need to go beyond mortality testing of mature bees and establish protocols that are sufficient to protect honey bee larvae against sublethal injury.

Based on my review and synthesis, there is enough evidence to support 1) the restriction of systemic pesticide use on bee-pollinated plants, 2) the establishment of sublethal pesticide levels for larval pollinators, 3) the regulation of pesticide metabolites (breakdown products) as pesticides, 4) restrictions on the use of fungicides and herbicides during crop flowering, and 5) a prohibition on the use of pesticide combinations when detrimental synergistic reactions may occur.)

6.     Carrillo, Marcela Pedraza, et al. "Influence of agrochemicals fipronil and imidacloprid on the learning behavior of Apis mellifera L. honeybees-doi: 10.4025/actascianimsci. v35i4. 18683." Acta Scientiarum. Animal Sciences 35.4 (2013): 431-434.

7.     Carvalheiro, Lu¨ªsa G., et al. "Pollination services decline with distance from natural habitat even in biodiversity©\rich areas." Journal of Applied Ecology 47.4 (2010): 810-820.

8.     Fauser©\Misslin, Aline, et al. "Influence of combined pesticide and parasite exposure on bumblebee colony traits in the laboratory." Journal of Applied Ecology 51.2 (2014): 450-459.

9.     Gill, Richard J., Oscar Ramos-Rodriguez, and Nigel E. Raine. "Combined pesticide exposure severely affects individual-and colony-level traits in bees." Nature 491.7422 (2012): 105-108.

10.     Gregorc, Ale?, et al. "Gene expression in honey bee (Apis mellifera) larvae exposed to pesticides and Varroa mites (Varroa destructor)." Journal of Insect Physiology 58.8 (2012): 1042-1049.

11.   Johnson, Reed M., et al. "Acaricide, Fungicide and Drug Interactions in Honey Bees (Apis mellifera)." PloS one 8.1 (2013): e54092.

12.   Mussen, Eric C., Julio E. Lopez, and Christine YS Peng. "Effects of selected fungicides on growth and development of larval honey bees, Apis mellifera L.(Hymenoptera: Apidae)." Environmental entomology 33.5 (2004): 1151-1154.

13.   Pettis, Jeffery S., Josephine Johnson, and Galen Dively. "Pesticide exposure in honey bees results in increased levels of the gut pathogen Nosema." Naturwissenschaften 99.2 (2012): 153-158.

14.   Speybroeck, Niko, et al. "Weighing risk factors associated with bee colony collapse disorder by classification and regression tree analysis." Journal of Economic Entomology 103.5 (2010): 1517-1523.

15.   vanEnglesdorp, D., Meixner, M.D. "A historical review of managed honey bee populations in Europe and the United States and the factors that may affect them." Journal of invertebrate pathology 103 (2010): S80-S95.

16.   Wu, Judy Yu. Sub-lethal Effects of Pesticide Residues in Brood Comb on Worker Honey Bees (Apis Mellifera L.). Diss. Washington State University, 2010.

17.   Zhu, Wanyi, et al. "Four common pesticides, their mixtures and a formulation solvent in the hive environment have high oral toxicity to honey bee larvae." PloS one 9.1 (2014): e77547.