From:
Charles Harper <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Harper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 07:35:58 -0500
On Sat, 14 Aug 1999 10:45:22 -0400, wtroyer wrote:

>I've recently read that a new type of honeybee will be available early next year that is resistant to varroa mites.
>Does anyone on this list have factual information on this subject? Is there such a bee? If so, will it be introduced
>next year? Just the facts please.
>
>Wade

 The Russian honey bees are very resistant to varroa they will surive and prosper without treatment while the american bees
die in the same yard. The  American Honey  Producers news leter has a short news piece on them.
  They have been released for reproduction by Steve Benard for breeder queens, a good friend of mine.
I have about 80 of the Russians in my operation under test right now and will be switching to them as soon
as possible. The pure Russians are very dark  and some of the gentilest I have seen in a long time, some of
the crosses can be testy, about  10 require smoke to work them of the 80 or so that I have.

Charles Harper
Harper's Honey farm
Carencro LA.
900+ Hives