Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 2010 22:36:19 -0400
> Installation was in late morning.  Before installing packages, they were
> dusted with powdered sugar to try to dislodge any attached mites.

What happened is what I would have expected to happen, installing before
noon.  I can show you pictures of 20 lb swarms from doing just that.

First, we never install before dusk.  Any time we have done that, thinking
the weather was cool or rainy enough to keep the bees in, we have been very
sorry.    We also make sure the bees are cool and are not running on the
screens keeping them in a cool place so they are clustered when we install.
Again, we install after it is too dark for flying.

Second, bees don't need protein patties very badly until there is brood.
Depending on the patties, they may give a confusing scent or even actually
repellant (I've seen that).  We place the patties on after a few days.

I don't know about the sugar dusting, though.

Did you see the queens moving in their cages?  Did you release them?

How long were the bees in the packages?  Often successive packages are
shaken from one hive and if they are not kept long enough in the package and
have not noticed their new queen, they may recombine, given a chance.