From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 2010 09:15:24 -0700
> In fact with an *average* spore count

> of 15,100,000 per bee those bees are done for.

Bob, I sure hope that this is not true--if it is, I'll be out of business
soon.  I'm talking field bees, not house bees.

> >If this hypothesis of Jerry is true then the only possible answer is to
> depopulate the hives , use acetic acid or Clorox on the boxes, feeders &
> frames and add bees.

I have been repopulating unsterilized deadouts that had N ceranae with no
apparent problem.

> >Drenching will NOT kill healthy bees.

I have also not observed drenching to kill bees.

I'm with Juanse on this--the most important factor appears to be amount of
active ingred into the colony--not the method of application.  And as Jerry
says, to extend the treatment over weeks.  See ScientificBeekeeping for
mixing instructions.

I'm also with Bob in that N ceranae does not appear to respond to fumagillin
the same as N apis.  Looks like it requires a bit more a.i.
And sometimes it simply does not bring down spore levels, even when applied
multiple times.  This is from personal published trial, and feedback from
large commercial beeks.

>HBH was reverse engineered and the make up is simple essential oils but the
> process to make requires an emulsifier.

Bob, are you sure that you are not referring to ProHealth, which was reverse
engineered from HBH?

> >retiring from commercial *active* beekeeping this year due to health
> reasons
> but will keep and expand retail and store sales.

Sorry to hear, Bob.  Sure hope that you keep enough colonies to keep giving
us your valuable observations!

Randy Oliver