From:
Jeremy Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2012 08:54:32 -0800
It is difficult for me to imagine how anyone who has used these products
could really believe that thymol or formic acid are not harmful to
bees.  Thymol kills at least half the brood in most hives and formic
acid kills a bunch of the queens.  It breaks my heart to do this to my
bees.  I just use the products because I have to in order to stay in
business without using an illegal product in my hives.

In October I applied apiguard, terramycin, and fumigillin-b all on the
same day.  This was because my bees had mites, european foulbrood, and
nosema all at the same time.  I would not have used the products if I
did not need to, as I am sure all are quite harmful to my hives.  So did
it work?  My bees still have mites, foulbrood and nosema just like
everyone else.  But I have only lost about 5 hives out of over 300.  On
the other hand, I am sure I would have lost 90% of my bees by now had I
skipped the mite treatment.  It is all about cost vs. benefit, and the
so-called natural miticides are the only effective legal treatments on
the market right now.

--Jeremy Rose
San Luis Obispo, CA