From:
Barry Birkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 17:39:07 +0000
FYI
-------------------------------
University of Illinois Short Course on Bees and Beekeeping
Saturday and Sunday, August 8-9, 1998

Lectures, hands-on workshops, and informal discussions on:
Introduction to beekeeping / Pesticides & bees / Bee anatomy
Mite biology & management / Honey processing & marketing / Queen rearing

Bee diseases / Honey as a neutraceutical / Breeding & genetics
Swarm control Honey ID by pollen / Sting allergies
Wintering in the Midwest / Bumble bee pollination / Colony organization

PLUS:
Bee experiment: Participants can join a research team and study bee
behavior.
"Birds-of-a-Feather" dinners: Small groups of participants will dine at
restaurants on
Saturday evening with a course instructor for spirited discussion on
selected topics.
French-style gourmet honey tasting: Honeys from around the world

Speakers:
Prof. May Berenbaum, Dept. of Entomology, Univ. Illinois
Prof. Marion Ellis, Extension Apiculturist, Univ. Nebraska
Jerry Hayes, Columnist, American Bee Journal
Prof. Gene Robinson, Dept. of Entomology, Univ. Illinois
Prof. Laurian Unnevehr, Dept. of Agric. & Consumer Economics, Univ.
Illinois
Members of the Univ. Illinois Bee Research Facility staff

Location:
Univ. Illinois Illini Union and Bee Research Facility

Fee:
$100 includes course materials, refreshments, & honey tasting

Lodging:
Group rates available at either the Hampton Inn at U of I or
air-conditioned dormitory
rooms for $18/night

Dates&Times:
Begins 9:00 AM Saturday, Aug. 8 and ends 1:00 PM Sunday, Aug. 9

Registration: (217) 333-2910
FAX: (217) 244-3499
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Or write: Beekeeping Short Course, c/o Univ. Illinois, Dept. Entomology,

320 Morrill Hall, 505 S. Goodwin Ave., Urbana, IL 61801

LIMITED TO 50 PARTICIPANTS, SO REGISTER EARLY!

"I laughed, I cried, the Beekeeping Short Course was much better than
the Broadway
play 'CATS'. This was a VERY interesting course. I'm excited about
attending next
year with new colleagues." 1997 participant

"I recently was invited to attend the University of Illinois Bees and
Beekeeping
Short Course . . . Dr. Gene Robinson . . . and students put on a
well-orchestrated course."
Prof. Tom Sanford, Extension Apiculturist, Univ. Florida

Sponsored by:
Dept. of Entomology and School of Life Sciences, Univ. Illinois
Center for Economic Entomology, Illinois Natural History Survey
With generous support from Dadant & Sons and Wellmark International
(Apistan)

--
Barry Birkey
West Chicago, Illinois  USA