From:
"David L. Green" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 16:26:12 EST
In a message dated 11/1/00 2:39:57 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> An interesting thought on this clay application...it is similar in particle
>  size to talcum powder, and some pollens. Will it be easily removed by bees
>  and returned to the hive? Bees collect substances that are similar in size
>  to pollen that are not pollen...every experienced beekeeper has observed
>  this behavior in sawdust piles and bird feeders. Food for thought, and
maybe
>  for larvae honey bees?

issue has been considered and tested, which is reassuring....

From:   [log in to unmask]

Dear Dave,

Thanks for the question.

We have studied particle film effects on bees and the results were very
positive.  Here's what we know:

Tests done that followed the EPA protocol showed no adult bee mortality
when applied directly to the adult bees nor when fed to adult bees.

In a pear and apple orchard study, particle films did not deter bee
foraging and pollination when applied during bloom.

With all of the 60,000 or so acre treatments we have done in 2000, we have
heard of no instances of detrimental effects to hives where bees were
foraging in particle film-treated crops.

A key point is that Surround Crop Protectant is rarely applied during bloom
periods.  If it were applied during bloom, it would only be applied weekly,
so only a certain percentage of blooms would be open for a given spray.  On
top of that, the film would have to directly hit and presumably cover the
flower; and then the adult would have to carry it back to the hive.  (Since
the bees forage directly in the flower, prebloom coatings that remain on
leaves or branches would not affect them.)

Thanks,

John Mosko
Surround Crop Protectant