From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 23:02:43 -0500
Tom Culliney from Hawaii asked about imports of bees into Australia.  I had
posted on the Bee-L before about this.  Australia has a strict protocol to be
followed for the importation of queen bees.  There are requirements to be met
in the country of origin and when the queen bee arrives in Australia.

Tom, I will send, by post, a copy of the protocol.  It will answer most of
your questions.  If anyone else on Bee-L would like a copy, let me know
directly.

Chris Allen posted a note which has several incorrect statements.  I will
correct those statements.

There are certain certifications required by the counrty of origin which are
more extensive than just a health certificate.

Queen bees do not arrive with 40 escorts.  The protocol requires not less than
6 escorts and it is often around 6 to10.

When the queen bee arrives, after satisfactory visual inspection she put into
a new mailing cage with fresh escorts from Australia for a period of not less
than 14 days.  Her origin escorts are internally and externally examined and
after the minimum of 14 days the Australian escorts are examined and if they
are clear, the queen bee is then introduced into the nucleus in the flight
cage.

There is no artifical insemination carried out on the imported queen bee.  At
present, Australia does not have a protocol in place for the introduction of
drone semen.

After satisfactory tests on the progeny of the new queen bee, grafting of
larvae from the nucleus colony is allowed under strict supervision.  This is
done into plastic cell cups which are allowed to be taken away from the
quarantine facility.  No queen cells are taken from the quarantine station.

I am unaware of any bad genetic stock that has been intercepted at the
quarantine station.  I will check this out and let the list know if this has
been the case.

The protocol used in Australia is 12 pages long, so I cannot put all the
conditions on the list.  If anyone wishes to comment on our protocol, please
obtain a copy beforehand so you have all the facts at hand.

Sorry to bore most on the list with the corrections but these needed to be
made, particularly when the original enquiry was from a Government
Departmental Officer.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA