From:
Andy Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 1998 22:48:23 BST
Date:    Tue, 14 Apr 1998 10:51:30 -0500
From:    "Schriner, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Queen Bees

So there I was, checking to see that my queens had been
accepted/released from their queen cages in my splits.  In one, the
queen couldn't get thru the hole in the cage because of the dead workers
clogging up the works.  So I decided to help her and poked the dead ones
aside with a large nail.  As I was laying the queen cage back--out she
came and away she flew.  Aghhhh.  Sometimes I wish I could light cigars
with $10 bills.... Anyhow, so now I'm going to order another queen, and
well might as well order two.  Always looking to try something new and
improved I am going to try a different breeder for this pair.
Currently, all my bees/queens are from Hardeman's,  I'm thinking of
trying some Wilbanks queens.  (Did I mention I only want Italians)
        All suggestions, experiences and or comments are welcome.
Production is probably more important than temperment--but not
entirely<G>.     The established hives are very busy at the moment and
the bees have moved up into the honey supers and are working the bait
comb in the top comb supers.  My packges are taking syrup like mad and
my splits--well, they are still trying to get themselves organized.

Best Regards,  Jeff

 Hi Jeff,
Why not graft a Queen Cell into your hive from one of your strong colonies.
If you have plenty of colonies already and they are producing well this can save alot of money.
I used to buy my queens but would never do again, I always rear my own.
Regards

Andy S