From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:34:44 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Although movable frames are great for close colony inspection, and
> thus were mandated as the only legal type justified by the need for
> official inspections for bee diseases, I wonder if diseasse control
> is not worse today...  I have yet to see a feral colony with a case
> of American foulbrood or chalkbrood.

They die. Wax moth cleans up the remains. Therefor it is hard to observe
something that is not there. Habeas corpus.****
**
I run into people who point out colonies that have existed for many
years in trees. If they did, they would be the holy grail that we search
for, but they never are. After more detailed questioning, it usually
turns out that there were years when there were no bees in the tree.

There may be studies on the stability of feral colonies in the wild, but
it would be difficult to control the primary variable of beekeeper's
colonies in the area that replenish the feral population. You could lose
every feral colony every year but replenish it with "kept" bees every
year so it would look like you had a stable feral population.

I love to hear from people who wonder what all the fuss is about
disappearing bees since they have never noticed their absence. They are
always near a beekeeper and do not know it. The feral bees did die off,
as our Pumpkin growers here in Maine found out.

Sort of makes you wonder about those who collect feral bees because of
their ability to cope with all the stresses out there. Maybe those
colonies are from good beekeepers who are selecting for just those
traits.and all the actual "feral' colonies died off long ago. Or maybe
they are their own bees and you have a closed loop recycling system.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine