From:
Steve Bonine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Dec 2005 14:32:29 -0600
 > Would you be willing to buy/provide lunch/dinner or breakfast to
your state bee inspector?

I'd love to, but I don't expect to ever get the opportunity.  I
believe that we made it up to six inspectors here in Minnesota last
season, and even if they're all full time (which I don't think they
are) there's no way that I'm going to see one way down here near the
Iowa border with my status as hobby beekeeper.  I wonder sometimes
whether the inspectors' time is better spent visiting the commercial
operators, who know what they're doing or would be out of business,
or inspecting us newbies who may be the breeding ground for all the
bad stuff.  But why should I expect to have my education in
beekeeping paid for by state tax dollars?

As much as I enjoy the opportunity to take advantage of expertise
from the likes of Marla Spivak at the association meetings in St.
Paul, it's hard to justify three hours on the road to attend such
meetings.  Those of you who have lots of local contacts and mentors
should be very thankful for the resource.