From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 08:11:29 -0600
The following was posted in May.  In light of the discussion about Cape
bees, I wonder if anyone has any insights?
---

Date:          Thu, 22 May 1997 04:40:47 -0500
> On the question of what happens when bad weather strikes, when a hive is
> in swarm mode the bees start a succession of queen cells, maturing at
> different times, to cover this possibility.  The impulse to issue as the
> swarm is triggered usually the day before the first queen hatches and
> this queen duly destroys all her unhatched siblings.

It is hard to lay down hard and fast rules.

A hive with many virgin queens running around freely is not unusual.
Sometimes they will refuse to fight even if removed and placed together on
your hand or in a jar.

Swarms often contain numerous queens.

If only we could get honey bees to develop the routine acceptance of
multiple queens on a continuous and predictable basis without mechanical
separation by excluders, we would simplify beekeeping and have large hives
that do not fail due to the mortal nature of one queen.

Fire ants apparently developed this characteristic in recent times.

Allen
---
Newsflash!  Visit http://www.beekeeping.co.nz/beel.htm
to search BEE-L archives the easy, easy way or to
update or change your subscription options.
---