From:
Ruary Rudd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 1998 16:14:51 +0100
>What is the preferred way of killing off a hive.?
>
>Tom Barrett

It all depends on what you want to do;

If you want to kill off a hive for foulbrood and destroy the frames then
using petrol (gasoline) will do the trick nicely. It has the advantage of
helping the ignition of bees and frames in the burial pit. I have had to do
this and I had no spillage on the ground.

If you want to kill off the bees only, and salvage the frames for future use
then the use of sulphur di-oxide gas which is produced by burning sulphur is
optimal. In the days when bees were kept in skeps the use of sulphur pits
was common to kill the bees and allow the harvest of honey.
Ruary Rudd