From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Feb 2007 09:33:24 -0600
Hello Peter & All,
I am only saying what was told us by Jeff Pettis ( head of Beltsville Bee
Lab) at the American Beekeeping Federation meeting in Austin , Texas.

The presentation:
"Finding the TRUE CAUSE of Colony losses" ( Friday Jan.12 11:15 Am.)

Jeff said multiple factors seem to be involved and explained.

Jeff Pettis
" M. pluton was found in samples from deadouts of the large migratory bee
kills".

The largest beekeeper involved and first to report large scale losses (
personal longtime friend) is having ALL
his deadout comb treated by radiation. He is on top of the situation.
He accepts what Jeff has said and is acting accordingly. He asked my advice
on two occasions and I think he is on the right track and by taking what
Jeff said to heart his bees will be back booming again this spring!

The others I spoke with are back to business as usual.

Jeff pettis has repeatedly warned beekeepers about rotating out comb on
which
fluvalinate & coumaphos has been used and pointed as a possible cause for
the new problem of dying hives.

Jeff pointed to the virus issue. The work presented by Diana Cox- Foster
( Penn State) was a real eye opener about bees being able to pick DWV off
blossoms such as in almonds and bring the virus back to hives without DWV.
Also the best way to rid the hive of past virus contamination on comb  was
to replace comb and POWER WASH boxes.

I told my friend above in my opinion radiation would kill the virus
contamination along with EFB & AFB. Private conversation with
USDA-ARS researchers seem to share the same opinion.

Sadly in my opinion  many of the  large beekeepers are becoming box movers
and bee feeders ( feed lot beekeeping) instead of real in the hive
beekeepers.

bob

--
believed to be clean.