From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 1996 11:37:04 EDT
Allen Dick posted to my previous query:
> I'm curious.  Have you sampled your mite levels?  Are other
> beekeepers in your area treating simultaneously?  What does your
> local bee extension agent say?  Other local hobbyist and commercial
> beekeepers?

I have diligently kept grease patties in all my hives all summer long,
so I'm ASSUMING that tracheal mites are not a problem.  I have not done
ether rolls to test for varroa, but I have examined drone brood, found
nothing.  No news of mite infestations from beekeeping buddies in my
beekeepers association.  In fact, researchers at Cornell who are ready
to jump on the situation have not been able to find even pockets of mite
infestation statewide.  An appeal for NY beekeepers with mites was made
at the mite workshop last Saturday.  If you've got 'em, let me know
and I'll pass the word.  Yet I am ready and commercial operations are
ready to treat a problem that has not shown itself this season.  I am
not networked with all beekeeping associations in New York, but am very
active in my local tier (the northeast quarter of the state).  Seems
we're all running scared from last year, treating prophylactically
to make sure that we get even the invisible mites.  This is not a
coordinated effort, although "the word" is out that we'd better forego
the fall flow and treat now.  To my knowledge, most are doing so and if
they aren't, they readily admit that they are gambling.  The only success
stories this spring were from beekeepers who treated mid-August last
summer.

> If you are acting alone, what are the chances that your efforts may
> be in vain?  My understanding is that varroa control requires
> co-ordinated local efforts.

If there are beekeepers within flight distance of my yards, I don't know
of them.  All feral hives (trees and buildings) that I knew of last year
were gone this spring, some of which hade been there most of my lifetime
(40 some years).  I have found only one feral hive newly established
this season and can't say with assuredness from whence it came.

> Of course, I imagine we are all very interested in your problem and
> some may have general comments.  We'll also want to know more about
> your ultimate conclusions as you learn more about this new problem
> and hope you continue to post more on this as you proceed.

I suspect that what I'll do is start the treatments for the beardless
hives and give back a super (or two) to the busters to relieve the
congestion through Labor day.  But then I'll be faced with a double
dilemma then, what to do with the unripe honey that will be in the
supers (handled easily enough in a batch of mead I guess), and then the
bees will most likely still be quite populace, hence I'll have the same
problem only a few weeks later.  Perhaps late swarms will be less of a
concern then.  This strategy also introduces the possibility that my
untreated hives will reinfest my treated ones, but that may be a
nonconcern if the periods of treatment overlap.

While I typed this Joel Govostes posted:

> What's the big deal about getting the strips in now??  Sorry, but I
> just don't get it.  Get your fall flow and super well so they won't
> swarm.  If they do, it's likely the parent colonies won't be in very
> good shape going into winter.  And neither will the swarms, of course.

Exactly.  Problem is that the latest opinion is that NOW, right NOW, is
the time to treat.  Have a look at this month's ABJ, which is touting
NOW as the time to treat for mites to make sure that the next and
subsequent brood cycle will be mite free to assure that the wintering
population will be a healthy one.  In fact, one researcher (perhaps
more?) suggest killing off the field bees prior to the onset of cooler
weather so any mites they carry will not be passed on to the following
generations of bees.  Perhaps that is the answer to this question,
relieve the congestion by euthenasia for the current field force.  I
was incredulous when I read the suggestion, but I specifically
asked that question at the mite workshop held at BetterBee this past
weekend (attended by over 140 beekeepers) and no one shot it down.
Such a strategy certainly will preclude harvesting the fall flow, but
will address the congestion.

> The ideal time to treat, as I understand it, is when there is little
> or no brood; then all the mites are gravitating to adult bees, instead
> of being hidden in capped brood cells.  SO, that means October, maybe
> into November around here, while the bees are still somewhat active.
> There is a window of opportunity there. This is well after the majority
> of the fall flow.  According to Roger Morse the lowest part of the
> brood cycle is around November.

No, the most effective treatment/highest kill rate of mites is achieved
when you treat at the lowest brood population as you stated.  However,
the current thinking is as I stated, which is treat NOW to assure that
the next brood cycles, your wintering bees, will be mite free.  I didn't
treat until late September last year and I suffered 75% winter losses,
actually 40% were gone by Thanksgiving.

> It does appear to be a dilemna - treating and losing the crop/letting
> them keep it on for the winter and accepting unwanted fall swarming
> (fairly common), VS. taking full advantage of fall sources and not
> getting to treat nice and early.  BTW  I should clarify that up here
> in the NE the fall crop (goldenrod & asters) is quite a substantial
> portion (sometimes the majority) of the entire harvest for the year.

Agreed!  Which is the dilemma I'm wrestling with.  I hate to cut off the
fall flow, especially with the ideal conditions we've been having in
these parts, because the fall flow promises to be excellent (apologies
to the drought sticken mid and southwest).  I hate to miss the asters,
perhaps my personal favorite - ever so light, tastes great AND less
filling ;) although it granulates very quickly.

Aaron Morris - Still thinking damned if you do, damned if you don't!?