From:
Doug Henry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 1997 21:09:14 -0600
The temp here has warmed up to -10 degrees celcius today after being down
in the -30s for the past several weeks. I put on my
snowshoes and went out to check the hives. There are four of them in a
cluster, each two supers high on pallets. I could have walked right over
them except the wind has carved out the snow around the hives so its only
one super high in the immediate area. I noticed 15-20 dead bees out
front. Why they would come out in such cold is a mystery to me. All bottom
entrances are sealed with snow. The top opening on each hive was built up
with frozen condensation, a sure sign the bees are still alive. I broke
all the ice away, made sure the openings were clear and then left them
with another three months of winter to endure. Their ability to survive
under these climatic conditions is quite amazing. They have been shut
inside now since the middle of October.
Doug Henry
Lockport, Manitoba