From:
Keith Malone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2006 07:25:09 -0800
Hi Dick,

> wonder if the bees actually rely on some amount of
condensation as a water supply.

I would think they would, especially in colder locations where they could not get out to gather water.

>  Do they need to drink water during the
Winter months, or do honey reserves provide them with enough.

From my knowledge, bees need water to assimilate honey, so water is necessary to help keep the cluster warm as the bees utilize honey for energy.

>  is a 'perfectly' ventilated hive (i.e. no condensation)a detriment
to the Wintering survivability?

I do not know what you mean by perfect because I no of very little that is perfect except God and how nature works. One thing I do know is from my own observations with non scientific experiments up here is that bees need more ventilation than most beekeepers would think or provide. With my trial I am doing this winter with the two types of nucs, one being limited on ventilation and one having a totally open screened bottom (Which has limitations to compared to completely exposed), I hope to determine for my own location whether or not more ventilation is better or not with this cavity size and material of hive used. In my opinion, I think if a beekeeper provides plenty or enough ventilation the bees will regulate it on their own, but if not enough ventilation is provided then the bees will have trouble regulating it, maybe not. I will see if more is better than less this winter, only it will mean nothing to anybody but me up here in my own unique location.

The other aspect to this discussion is moisture drainage, which is what caused the ponding in the solid bottom nuc. This may contribute to more condensation than would normally happen if there was more ventilation and moisture drainage. Can't say for sure yet. In the winter when I peep under the top and look through the acrylic inner cover of both types I will be able to see if one type has more droplets than the other or if one is even dryer. My assumption on the matter tells me that even with an open bottom there will be droplets under the inner cover but with an open bottom the moisture will drain. I will see, maybe not.

 . ..   Keith Malone, Chugiak, Alaska USA, http://www.cer.org/,
c(((([ , Apiarian, http://takeoff.to/alaskahoney/,