From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 May 1997 15:46:13 -0400
In a message dated 97-05-24 14:04:54 EDT, [log in to unmask] (Charles
Hatton) writes:

<< Is it O.K. to weekly, biweekly, or monthly to remove each frame from the
brood chambers to examine them?  Is it O.K. to rearrange the order of the
frames on a regular basis in the brood chambers? >>

   It's a good way to keep the bees demoralized and unproductive.

   Unless there is a problem, we go through each hive thoroughly, only once
per year, in the spring.  At that time, every frame is looked at.  The rest
of the year, we try not to disturb the brood nest.  We do periodically pull
one frame to check for foulbrood.  Otherwise, we leave them alone, unless
they are weak, lightweight, or have other obvious problems.

   In the spring we pick up each hive, and set a replacement hive in its
place. As we go through the frames, we may split it, making up nucs, or just
generally evaluate queen, brood, and comb.   If rot is beginning in the box
or bottom, we can replace at that time.

   Besides culling poor comb or broken frames, I would not want to do much
rearrangement of the brood nest.  They know how they want it; why should we
fight them?

   If you started packages with foundation, and you did not have comb for the
outside frames, you will want to move those two frames in before they draw
them, because the bees are apt to make a lot of bridge comb from the
foundation to the wall, instead of drawing them out.  So I do recommend
trading them for a drawn frame.

   We do not place foundation in that position, if at all avoidable.  Almost
all deep comb is drawn in the supers, where the bees do a better job.  These
are made up with one or two newly drawn comb in the center, and one older
comb on each outside wall.  The drawn comb in the center entices the bees
into the box to work, and the wall combs prevent them from spoiling those
frames.

[log in to unmask]    Dave Green,  PO Box 1200,  Hemingway,  SC
29554        (Dave & Jan's Pollination Service,  Pot o'Gold Honey Co.)

Practical Pollination Home Page            Dave & Janice Green
http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html