From:
Eric Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2007 21:23:05 -0500
>Anyone else notice that the model for sustainability is what existed
>with family farms in the past and they were not sustainable? The market
>decided that.

The whole reason anyone is talking about sustainability is because
what "the market decided" is so obviously destructive of the communities
and ecosystems that sustain our quality of life.  The basic concept is hard
to argue with: there exist opportunities to make relatively small short-
term gains at the expense of long-term productivity.  The modern pattern is
to blindly decide to have faith in the capitalist doctrine that indulging
in short-sighted greed, gluttony, and vanity will somehow ultimately
promote the general welfare.  Alternatively, we can recognize opportunites
to exercise restraint and then act responsibly.

This ties in with the recent discussion on commodity honey.  To call
anything a commodity is to blind ourselves to the particulars of how that
thing was produced.  As such I believe the concept of a commodity is
directly at odds with the concept of sustainability.  No matter how
narrowly we define our commodities (including organic designation), the
concept of a commodity requires equating all products with a given least
common denominator.  Not wanting to look at honey as a commodity is not to
say that Brian's honey is empirically any better than Bob's.  I haven't
heard anything substantive to suggest that.  But I don't see any hope for a
thorough exercise of responsibility on the part of the consumer apart from
a real personal connection to the producer.