From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2008 08:59:04 -0700

> >RULE 1
>
> YOU NEED HEALTHY BEES TO MAKE A LIVING FROM BEES!   Bob Harrison

Thanks, Bob, for your great Rule--I agree wholeheartedly!  There are no
exceptions.
When I said that some colonies were thriving with nosema, the point was that
those colonies were healthy, despite having some level of nosema.  If those
same colonies were to become nutritionally stressed, they would likely
spiral downhill.

In my own operation this year, we've had three things hammer us--our two
main honey flows did not materialize, and because of that, toxic buckeye
bloom knocked our 10-12 framers back to struggling 4-6 framers.

Both of those problems were beyond our control, and not due to mites or
nosema.  But you can bet that those colonies are now UNHEALTHY, and sitting
ducks for mites or nosema problems.  Similarly to you, we are not interested
in nursing dinks, and have already combined many.  The rest we are moving to
better pasture and/or feeding.

Randy Oliver