From:
Steve Newcomb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 21:10:35 -0400
This is my first winter with bees.  I mixed about 6 gallons of
Fumidil/sugar water mixture, per package directions, 2 weeks ago.  I put 1
1/2 gallons on each of my 4 hives.

I used home-make feeders, made from 1 1/2 gallon ice cream buckets.  I used
a 4 penny finish nail to punch about 15 to 18 holes in each lid, centered
in about a 1" diameter circle.

The bees are not taking the syrup.  After reading other posts to this list,
I expected them to have taken at least a gallon per hive.  The best one has
only taken about a half gallon, and the worst only a cup or two.

The weather the first week was warm days and cool nights, lows in mid 50's,
highs in mid 70's, mostly sunny.  The second week brought clouds and rain,
with temperatures lowering only slightly.  We have not had a killing frost
yet, and many flowers are still in bloom.

Should consumption improve after a frost? (Generally Oct. 15-17 in this
area).
How long will the Fumidil remain effective?  (Package says 1 month).
Do I need more holes in my feeders?
Can I leave the feeders on until all syrup has been consumed? (Assuming it
doesn't mold).

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve Newcomb
Elyria, Ohio