From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2008 08:00:40 -0400
Peter Borst wrote:
>> Maybe. Unfortunately, I work with other people's bees, not mine, as an
apiary inspector.

This, taken out of context as it is, sounds bad. I actually enjoy working
with other people's bees. It's just a simple fact that if you have your own
hives, you can tailor them to suit your style and expectations, whereas as
an inspector you have to take it as it comes.

That means sometimes working in bad weather, with poorly maintained hives,
and cranky bees (polite terms, substitute your own). In a perfect world,
days would be sunny and warm, it would rain only at night, the hives would
be easy to open and the bees would be like kittens.

By the way, I pride myself on leaving everything exactly the way I found it,
aside from stomping down the weeds a bit. If they want the covers on upside
down, it's none of my business.

Hot tip of the day: you can make divides by placing deadouts upside down on
top of good colonies. After they fill up with brood, take them off and set
them aside. Add queens, if you have them.

pb