From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 11:29:07 -0500
Hello Dennis and All,

Dennis wrote:
The lowest natural mite fall was 0 mites and the average mite fall
> was 1 mite per hive per week over a 3 week period.

I do not want to take the wind out of the forty niner's sails but there
seems to be a curious phenomenon happening across the U.S.

Something for which I have not got a explanation but is only being witnessed
by those beekeepers willing to test and treat only when necessary.

We are getting mite drop similar to to Dennis with our larger cell
foundation. I have got no explanation for the phenomenon.

Other beekeepers  have suggested several possible scenario's.

A few scenarios suggested:

A disease or infection killing varroa

The high temperatures produced by drought conditions for sustained periods
effecting the varroa..

unknown problem with varroa reproduction.

Are others on the list which are testing and then treating only when mite
loads approach threshold seeing the same thing  as I and others are ( I
would guess less than 1 or 2% of beekeepers fall into the test before
treating category)

If so any ideas as to why we are observing the phenomenon  and are others
seeing the same phenomenon on the list?

Have any researchers had beekeepers report what I am reporting or seen the
same in their testing?

To sum things up I am not seeing high varroa levels in production hives .
those hives do not have a SMR queen. I did not get the time to requeen with
a SMR queen and now wonder if I need to at this point and time.

 If so any ideas as to why varroa  would be disappearing from our  hives in
large numbers or at least mite loads falling *way* below threshold in the
fall?

Is the phenomenon happening only in the areas of draught across the U.S.?

If varroa was disappearing on its own for unknown reasons then many could
say their methods are working.

Only with varroa testing as Dennis, Peter  and others on the list are doing
can we be sure our chosen method of varroa control is working.

As several have pointed out in the discussion. Why spend the money and
effort to treat if treatment is not needed?

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

Ps. When the draught  was going on in Georgia and Florida many claimed
success controlling the small hive beetle with various methods. The rains
came and the SHb was back with a vengeance. Many beekeepers were caught
unprepared. Is the low rate of varroa we are seeing only a temporary
situation caused by unknown issues?