From:
morty lipton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 10:52:20 -0400
I know a bit more about tomatoes and strawberries than I do about bees.

It has always been my understanding (based on reference reading) that
they were largely self-pollinating although I have at times seen bees
visiting some varieties of tomato plants.

After reading your post I tried the words tomatoes  and pollination on
Excite & the first entry was

"Mother Earth News , Sep/Oct 1987 Bring new pleasures and superior
plants to your garden By Nancy Bubel Some common self-pollinators are
tomatoes, lettuce, peas, snap beans, soybeans, lima beans, endive and
escarole. "
http://www.zetatalk2.com/food/tfood09l.htm (deceased)

I suspect that we probably shouldn't generalize about broad plant
classifications. for example a Brandywine tomato is worlds apart from a
cherry tomato and a day-neutral strawberry requires considerably
different culture than the more commonly grown June berries. I think
that what you concluded from your experience with pea varieties makes a
lot of sense.