Date:
Mon, 17 Oct 2011 21:29:32 -0400
A question for Randy:

At http://scientificbeekeeping.com/fighting-varroa-reconnaissance-mite-sampling/

> ... In an experiment I recently ran, I dusted a single-story colony with powdered sugar, collected the mite drop for 1 hour, then killed all the bees, washed the mites from them, and counted ‘em all. During that hour, 34% of the phoretic mites fell onto the sticky—in one hour, I collected as many mites as I would have in nearly 6 days of “natural” mite drop

I read several other pages on your site and and still could not figure out exactly what procedure you used to apply the sugar.

I also could not see how you figure that 6 days of "natural" mite drop would bring down 34% of the phoretic mites, so I wonder if there is a misprint or I am simply misunderstanding what you are saying.

I ask because I am working on these sorts of questions presently, as I assume many others on this list are.

For me it took three men, a truck and a $10,000 oxalic vaporizer machine, plus four days to drop (I'm guessing at the total load so far) only  about 30%.

Makes the sugar, however you did it, look pretty good!

http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/