Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 18:22:40 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Finally, a person does not have to have a degree or be employed as a
 scientist to conduct research.  There are many examples of successful and
 influential researchers who conduct studies because of personnel interest -
 their day job may be completely different.  And most anyone can conduct
 research - we published a paper in SCIENCE in 1985 of a very successful
 study conducted with a large group of beekeepers (researchers) from the
 Seattle/Tacoma area.  However, few researchers have the resources or are
 willing to take the economic risk that Dee Lusby has.  Most of us, like
 you, need to get paid and try to avoid bankruptcy. >>

Jerry,

A few of us amateurs on the eastern side of the Atlantic have been discussing
on and off how we can conduct or take part in research in a way that would be
useful, scientific and be taken seriously by the professionals.  Can you
offer any guidance?

Chris