From:
Larry Mutti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Nov 2016 14:53:27 -0500
I qualify as a lurker on this site, having only joined it recently. I am a scientist, but not an entomologist or even a biologist (background in hard rock geology). I’ve kept bees, but not very conscientiously or scientifically, for 20 years and have spent a lot more money on my bees than I have made from them.

I do enjoy the back and forth about the biology of bees and of pathogens and of chemical agents both natural and introduced into the environment. Reading these posts have made me a more critical and informed beekeeper and have caused me to become more involved with my bees than I had been previously. That is to my good, and probably to the good of the state of beekeeping in my neighborhood.

Perhaps it is my background in science. I do not expect agreement or even convergence on all topics because there remains a lot that we still don’t know. The careful identification of  the problems that bees and beekeepers face and of the logic that beekeepers bring to addressing those problems are all good, to me.  I am not reading to get the answers, but rather to get ideas, some of which I may accept and others that I may reject, some of which I will try to act on and others which while I acknowledge their utility are beyond my skill or time or   financial abilities.

I will continue to read, and probably not add very much to the discussion, and will always feel free to stop reading a particular thread if it goes beyond my level of interest or becomes too esoteric.

Larry Mutti