From:
Metro Propolis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 2013 08:57:41 -0700
>Besides the recommendations to change hive type, which may or may not be
practical in your situation with 75 hives (another option in that vein
would be to switch to all mediums,

>That said, I've often intoned "Friends don't let friends lift deeps".  No
time like the present to start converting to mediums.

Converting to mediums left me with various compatibility issues, both with others, and with my own indoor-overwintering style, which requires deep-nucs.

I reconsidered, and eventually settled on running 1 deep and 2 mediums for brood boxes.

This still provides reduced-lifting, but also retains compatibility with existing/other equipment.

This configuration assumes that no spring reversing will be done.

The net result provides slightly more space than just two deeps.

For me, this arrangement presents the best of both worlds, and I'm very happy with it.

Daniel Swan in Calgary.