From:
Cusick Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2013 09:10:27 -0400
Ok I'm not used to having hive beetle problems here in Michigan, and
certainly not this early in the year.  I have a hive that went into Winter
booming (was packed with bees last late fall inspection, treated with
Hopguard 3 rounds 1 week apart, started from very large swarm I collected
last Spring).  The hive is one deep and two mediums.  The bottom deep is
currently completely empty, no pollen, no nectar, no bees.  The colony was
doing fair this Spring and had expanded to fill both mediums, lots of
traffic etc.  There is still stored honey on both sides of the two mediums
and plenty of pollen coming in.  I started to do a cursory inspection
yesterday and noticed a beetle larva in a pollen frame, though ni adult
beetles that I could see anywhere.  I pulled the frame out and discovered
it was absolutely packed with larva,  I cut the comb out and put in a
different frame and inspected the rest of the hive thoroughly.  I found one
other small section with larva I cut out as well.

So my questions I guess is what's the best way to proceed?  I've never had
beetle issues before, didn't find any in the other hives either.  I've got
a cold spell coming this weekend, but should be able to get back in by
Tuesday.  I was contemplating breaking the hive down into smaller nucs so
the bees can better patrol.  Should I just shrink the hive as is or what?
I can order some beetle traps I guess, but have nver needed them before.

Jeremy
West Michigan