Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2017 10:04:47 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (12 lines)
Last fall during the dearth between the last blooms and the onset of winter, which now runs from late September through November (thank you, global warming), I fed my usual pollen substitute patties.  After a week or so, in one hive I noticed several worm-like grubs on the patty (which the bees ignored).  Eventually (getting older and slower), I realized they were small hive beetle larvae.  I've never seen SHB before in my hives and didn't think they would/could survive in this area, since winters are long with temps getting down to -15F/-26C or lower, so the frost line in the soil is quite deep.  I am at a loss to figure out how they got into the hive.  There was no sign of comb damage, so I don't think they were in there for very long.  Has anyone ever experienced an infestation coming from pollen patties?  I googled this one, but couldn't find anything on it, other than that SHB larvae will eat pollen patties.  And, I'm not looking to blame a manufacturer or supplier; just trying to figure out what the heck happened.

Thanks,

Bill
Claremont, NH US

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2