From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2012 23:13:46 -0400
Bob writes:
> Most of the U.S. beekeepers do not recognize the names Peter Borst, Randy Oliver or Bob Harrison.

Well that's a pretty sad statement. That would imply that most US beekeepers don't read the American Bee Journal, in which all three of us are published. I hope the word doesn't get out, since the ABJ depends on advertising revenue and they would hope that many if not most are reading their magazine. I recommend it.

But I am not writing here nor there to make a name for myself. You will no doubt also tell me that most US beekeepers don't know Elke Genersch nor do they read Apidologie. I write here to try to get this information out.

Roger Morse used to do the same thing: he'd comb through the international publications, wring out the important stuff, and pass it on. A lot of commercial beekeepers pointed fingers at him, saying he didn't have many colonies and therefore didn't know squat.

the results obtained
with the German beemonitoring project
did not reveal any relation between infection
with Nosema spec. and winter losses although
both Nosema species are prevalent in Germany
(Klee et al., 2007). Since no losses occurred
during summer although colonies were infected
by Nosema spec. it can also be ruled
out that infection with Nosema spec. killed
colonies between spring and autumn as described
in the Spanish studies

From the results of this study we can
deduce a general recommendation for beekeepers
who want to successfully bring their
colonies through the winter season: an effective
treatment against Varroa destructor is the
best life insurance for honey bee colonies.

In addition, wintering strong colonies headed by
young queens will improve the chances of the
colonies to stay alive over winter. Following
these recommendations will not generate eternal
honey bee colonies but will definitely reduce
colony winter mortality.

The German bee monitoring project: a long term study to understand periodically high winter losses of honey bee colonies, Elke Genersch et al. Apidologie 41 (2010) 332–352