From:
Larry Krengel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 2013 22:58:46 -0500
Christina -

I am not sure of its importance, but your question is interesting.  I
would like to know if truly the percentage of beekeepers who are color
blind is the same as the population at large... just because I think
individuals drawn to keeping bees are an interesting (and in some ways
atypical) subset of the population.

A couple of years ago I was part of a study that compared the personality
of beekeepers with the general population.  We sampled about 1400
beekeepers on five continents.  I was drawn to this by my subjective guess
that beekeepers were more introverted than the average man on the street.
They preferred to spend time with bees than with people.   I was curious.

My hypothesis proved to be statistically supported.  Beekeeper tend to be
more introverted.  Our data also showed a statistical difference in two
other personality factors.  Beekeepers tended to be more emotionally stable
and to be more open to new experiences.

I would contend that like people in other endeavors(golf, sky diving,
CPAs...), beekeepers are different as a group differ from the norm.  Not
better or worse, just different.

Larry Krengel
Marengo, IL USA