From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 2014 22:07:21 -0500
> Mark Berninghausen wrote:
> I think we have found out what the
> members want. At least what enough
> of the members who feel showing up
> is worthwhile.

As I pointed out, "showing up", no matter how worthwhile it might be, is
impossible for many when it is time for votes to be counted, and the
leadership has completely and utterly disenfranchised any member unable to
make it to North Syracuse, NY on a Friday afternoon in November, perhaps
through storms and over icy roads.  Not fixing this dooms the organization
to irrelevance, as policy is set only by those with a large enough axe to
grind to justify taking a Friday off work, meaning that the group will tend
to contract over time.  We do realize that most all people have to work for
a living, don't we?

And presuming that one already knows what members want is exactly the core
problem. Hubris and arrogance, born of ignorance of the needs of the
membership, and bereft of any concern for the welfare of the actual
beekeeping community, be they "members" of a club or not.

What was that old song by The Waitresses? "I know what boys like, I know
what guys want"... funny how it turned out they didn't - the band broke up
four years after making their claims about knowing what anyone liked.