Date:
Sun, 10 May 1998 23:12:59 -0400
> and within 30 minutes     both arms were swelling and I broke out
>in hives over part of body.  It now takes about three days to get over
>this.  Has anyone had similar problem? is there anything I can take before
>working bee's to prevent this reaction.  Thank you for help.

Whoa!  Williams in Missouri, this can be dangerous- it can lead up to an
anaphylactic type allergic reaction, one that can severely lower your blood
pressure, and possibly cause such severe swelling in your throat that you
cannot breathe, or trigger an athsma attack!  For a bad reaction, this can
happen faster than you can get to a hospital.  (And you thought the hives
were bad enough!)  Any hives or swelling on your body well away from where
you are stung is a sign of allergy to the sting.

Once you are sensitized, each reaction can get worse.  It is typical of
allergic reactions to have many exposures with no problem, then get
sensitized and suddenly you have a problem.

Sorry if I am coming on strong but

*****you really should talk to an MD allergist.

I have anaphylactic type reactions to peanuts and I have been hospitalized
for this.  It can be life-threatening, and so can bee sting allergy.  I have
spent time in emergency rooms with tubes up my nose and don't want to see it
happen to someone else.  I already carry an epinephrine injector for the
peanut allergy, and always carry it to the bee yard.

Again, I apologise if this email is taken as being too alarmist, but an
allergist can tell you what your own situation is.

Are there beekeeps on the list allergic to their bees?  How do you deal with it?

--Doug