From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jul 2009 07:43:14 -0600
> Me thinks that too many are trying to pin the tail on the wrong donkey.

Think about it.

I doubt that any thinking person can reasonably question that imidacloprid
routinely kills some bees and weakens others somewhere in the world at any
given time.  That seems very obvious.

The real questions are how many, how often, where, if the proportion and
number are significant and/or economically meaningful or not -- and the big
question is whether current methods of examining the issue are adequate and
capable of getting an adequate picture of the phenomena associated wit this
bug killer and its behaviour in the wild.

There is always a problem proving a negative, especially when common sense
says that there must be circumstances where a known powerful, targeted
poison is loose in the environment unsupervised and can achieve unintended
concentrations in unexpected ways, *and* can possibly act synergistically
with some unknown number of the multitude of natural and man-made chemicals
and organisms with which it comes in contact.

Examining studies and experiences, and yes, even opinions is important.
Unfortunately each of these is necessarily incomplete and limited in
underlying data,, scope and concept, so we keep kicking the ball around,
looking for something that has been overlooked and trying to decide how to
weight the various factors.

There is much we do not know and probably much we cannot know.

No reason to give up.