From:
Peter Springall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 19:53:08 GMT
 CHRS: IBMPC 2
 CODEPAGE: 850
 MSGID: 240:244/119 50f17a5d
 PID: FDAPX/w 1.13 UnReg
Greetings all from London England.
  Since 1970   I have been involved with this subject  at two venues.  1, The
Nature centre at Beckenham  1973 - 1980  ( 8 British Standard Frames 14" x  8
1/2" ).  2,  Horniman Museum  Forest Hill  1970-1992  (6 British Standard
frames )  3, Horniman Museum  from 1994  ( 8 British Commercial frames  16" x
10" ).

There is no doubt in my mind that there is no better insulation for bees than
bees.  Feed and feed in the autumn (fall)  to encourage brood rearing .  If
artificial heat is used, supply only enough to prevent freezing and make sure
it is thermostatically controlled.  The big danger is kidding the bees that
it's warm outside causing them to break winter cluster.

Late October the bees should cover at least 1,180  sq. inches of comb area.
Anything less can be tricky.

As the days start to lengthen, brood rearing will start slowly.  A trickle of
weak syrup will help but be careful not to be too helpful as the bees can only
look after just so much brood.  I always use cane sugar (in England they try to
sell us beet sugar), and I always add a little dose of Thymol Crystals which
helps to prevent fermentation and the dysentry that goes with it.

Fifty years ago when I first started, the old boys used to wrap up their hives
espesially the double walled ones, but in those days the river Thames used to
freeze over, something we have not seen for many years.

Good beekeeping to you all.  I will watch this space with great interest.

  Peter Springall,  Catford, LONDON.

---
 * Origin: [log in to unmask] Bromley Branch (240:244/119)