From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2014 20:06:23 -0400
Randy writes:
> Sentinel apiaries could easily be managed by local bee clubs at minimal costs, or even be a requirement imposed by EPA upon registrants of pesticides.

The concept of sentinel apiaries, while intriguing, may simply not be cost effective.The Bee Informed Partnership already has a vast network of informants contributing useful information from all over the map. Bayer has long been working bee health issues, and getting nothing but flak over it; the public dismisses any data they collect.

And if I am not mistaken, not too long ago you stated that of the concerns of beekeepers, pesticides were very far down the list. It's at the top of the list of various organizations who think we can live without them, that have agendas that have nothing to do with the state of pollinator health and everything to do with fund raising. Like the Sierra Club, Green Peace, etc.

If there is money to be spent, it should go to the Bee Informed Partnership on the national level and groups like New York's Bee Wellness Workshops, at the state level. I am not voicing negativity toward the President's new found concern, but trying to call attention to what is already being done. Support that, not new boondoggles.

PLB