From:
Jim Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jul 2014 12:44:54 -0700
Randy, I agree wholeheartedly with your principals, but I think reality
requires a different viewpoint.

For example, people willing to pay for the food...because they are hungry,
(in the US??) and since the San Joaquin Valley far surpasses many areas of
agriculture production, with water... And we can't eat energy.

Long term projections are for increasing populations.  Feeding these
increased populations will require an agriculture far surpassing sustainable
methods, such as organic, or case in point, slash and burn sweet potato
production with a 25 year rotation, which is truly sustainable.

I, instead propose that as pressures are applied to our agriculture model,
at least in this county, alternatives will be developed to address these
very impacts, changing the picture for the whole ecology.  Technology,
better genetic manipulation, and development of better methods for providing
those resources, energy and otherwise, to produce food for an increasing
population will be achievable.  A truly better understanding of all the
interactions included in production will give us choices that will help
preserve those very habitats at risk for extinctions. However, the
dismantling/defunding of basic research in agriculture and dissemination of
knowledge gained from that research through the extension service will be
detrimental to achieving these goals.

I would appreciate sharing your training methods for both bears and skunks.
I am sure not the only one with troubles of this sort.  In fact, what is
happening in northern California, (yeah I know you think you are there ha),
is increased populations of bears exceeding carrying capacities and invading
areas not normal, such as residential areas. And skunk populations never go
down, no matter what happens, extensive trapping, shooting etc. They tend to
survive just fine...

"Humans, IMHO, are in a different class from all other species, in that we
have the ability to have an overall awareness of our impact upon the
environment and all other species."

Absolutely, and a responsibility too!

Jim Smith
Northern California