From:
William Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2017 10:15:32 -0500
Bee Liners;

I just returned to the US from 2 weeks in Moldova continuing work on a
beekeeping development project.  I took a group over to Romania last
weekend to visit a former client of another beekeeping development project
that has been producing certified organic honey for the EU market for 12
years.  We toured the processing facility and went out in the countryside
and visited 2 certified organic bee yards.  I will post photos on my
Facebook page of the organic bee yards.  See:
https://www.facebook.com/BeekeepingDevelopmentConsulting/

I was told the organic bee yards had to be at least 3 km from any major
roads, 3 km from any industrial activity, and in a 'predominantly rural
area'.  As we discussed several weeks ago, each county in the EU is given
some latitude in developing organic certification rules.

I can tell you that all conventional and organic honey is analyzed for drug
and chemical residues and the residue screening is rigorous.  Bottom line
is the beekeeper has to be vigilant about drug and chemical use while
maintaining healthy hives.  We are going to investigate supporting organic
honey production in Moldova as one means of addressing ongoing residue
problems in honey there.

best regards,

Bill Lord
BeekeepingConsultingForDevelopment