Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2012 13:18:31 -0600
 > you may be able to help us out here--what is the average or high honey
 > production of a colony on treated canola these days, as compared to
that on
 > canola back prior to neonics, varroa, and nosema ceranae?  Could you ask
 > around?  Or was canola even planted back then?

I guess the first question is when exactly did we first experience
nosema ceranae?
My personal suspicion is that it has been here as long as I have kept
bees, and that
is back to the 70's.

After all, we only learned that the damaging varroa was not jabobsoni
after an
especially observant worker noticed a rather huge difference in
appearance between
the mite causing chaos and the pictures of jacobsoni.

Frankly, a child can distinguish those two and it took years of
observation by highly
trained people to detect.  Nosema apis and nosema ceranae are visually much
more similar and current word si that nosema ceranae has been in N
America for
decades, so...???

The second question is when neonic canola seed treatment became
widespread, and
secondarily, if it took years to build up in the environment -- or if it
has.

The question of when rape ceded to canola is much easier to chronicle.  See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canola#History

So, if anyone can tell me with certainty about he other two matters, I
can take a stab
at the question.