From:
Ted Wout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 1997 15:21:03 -0400
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>Gert Walter asks if there are external signs that a swarm has issued - I
do
not know of any.  The bees in the swarm are of all ages and there will also
be a stock of mature and young bees still remaining in the hive to continue
their duties.<<

So there are some clues that a swarm will issue, of course when it is
issuing and afterward that it has issued.  If you're in a position to watch
your hive regularly you'll notice that something is up.  Before swarming
the queen stops laying to slim up for her flight.  The field force gets so
excited about this they start hanging around more.  You'll notice many bees
at the entrance but not much activity as far as foraging.  You will not see
pollen coming in like it used to when the queen was laying.  If you're
lucky enough to see or hear the swarm of course you'll know it happened.
Afterwards, there are many bees missing.  You'll see some activity, but not
what you used to see.  You may get to witness the maiden flight of the new
young queen which the hive may participate in.  Then you'll notice that
actvity will start to build up again.  Most noticable, that pollen will
come in again.

The outward clues of what's going on inside the hive fascinate me.  As I've
matured as a beekeeper my sense of this has gotten more and more acute.
Even people telling you about it will not help you actually do it.  You
just have to watch and listen to start getting a feel for it.  I wish there
was a book that gave you clues about what to look for so that as we all get
more accustomed to watching our hives, we'd know what to look for.  Anybody
know of one?  I imagine that one of the prominent bee researchers could
even watch for the signs and verify them with what's going one inside the
hive.

I strongly encourage the new beekeepers on the list to watch.  Just grab a
lawn chair, an iced tea and watch your hive for awhile whenever you can.
Count the bees coming for awhile.  Count the bees going for awhile.  Look
for pollen in pollen sacks.  Look for fighting and defensive behavior.
Look for housekeepers removing dead brood or waste from the hive.  Be
careful after a few days of rain though,  the bees may surprise you with
brown rain on their cleansing flights!

Ted Wout
Red Oak, TX