From:
Scott Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 2016 12:04:38 -0500
The extended forecast for Vermont appears typical for the next few weeks
with most 20 (-6c) degree days and sub 20 degree nights. This should
keep existing clusters tight.
Snow is finally starting to appear but not yet in amounts to provide an
insulating wind break.
  December hive activity was greater what I would have liked to see yet
most of my hives still feel reasonably heavy. I started the winter with
hive weights around 180 pounds.(two deeps, one medium super setup)
There have been reports of some spring bulbs poking through the soil but
they have been short lived.

I refrain from feeding during the winter hoping to minimize moisture
introduction  as well as inhibiting any sugar related bee health issues.
I  don't anticipate  any cleansing flight opportunities for awhile.
The plan is to review hive conditions during mid- to end of February
(depending on a typical Northern Vermont weather pattern) and if needed
apply fondant as we approach the spring build up season.

Scott
Northern Vermont